Sunday, January 11, 2009

I Believe in Breakfast

I was the bad kid in class who wouldn't put my hand over my heart during the pledge of allegiance. I still am for the most part, but what I will do is pledge my allegiance to breakfast. I am a breakfast person -- I think it's the most rewarding meal and since I'm usually cranky and starving in the morning, it's made even better if it's purchased.

The perfect places for the perfect breakfast:

Zoka: The best place for a power breakfast. Sometimes there is the conflict of wanting breakfast and coffee out, but needing to do it fast. This one is close by to me and you can get a pot of tea and a mini bacon and swiss quiche while getting the quick & dirty from the friend you dragged with you.

Tilth: My favorite place for the brunch and booze.* It holds a special place in my heart because it's home to some of my favorite meals with friends, but emotions aside, the food is kickass. The bloody mary's aren't just filled with boozy goodness, it's boozy goodness made with heirloom tomatoes. And after I fill up on cocktails, I usually get the biscuits and chicken gravy (did you just hear my heart stop?), but it's so freakin' good I don't care. This is a place where you linger because it's so damn good and the company you keep promotes it.

Cafe Presse: Le Pichet in the morning. Oh so French, oh so Capitol Hill.

And finally, Bagel Oasis: The "hung-over/I'm too much of a piece of shit to cook breakfast" breakfast. I love their bagel, egg and sausage sammy with an over-priced Naked Juice. Every time I'm there I'm surprised that the health department hasn't filed some grievance against them, but I'm usually in a state of hunger-induced delirium so I don't care. And even better, the shabby Northwest-y appearance of the patrons and staff make me feel like I'm really not looking so shitty after all, despite the haphazard compilation of clothing that usually accompanies visits to the O.

* Note: It aint brunch if it aint boozey

No comments: