Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tea or Coffee?

I don't have too many vices, just the regulars - Bravo, Diet Coke, bulk candy, sales at Barney's, sales on cashmere, Salon shoes at sale prices, you get my drift...

And what's been getting my attention lately? Tea. Like a true addict, it's always within arms' reach and if I don't have it with me, I feel slightly unnerved. In late summer, I virtually abandoned coffee in favor of black tea, full-time. In the fall, the conditioned worsened and by what it now late winter, I'm a full-blown user.

What I have grown to also appreciate is the complex universe that accompanies tea. The varieties, the different cups and mugs, the different brewing techniques... Here are a few of the things that I'm either using, or have caught my addict eye.

Intelligentsia's 333: Introduced to me by some very special people in the know, this is amazingness. Herbal teas usually fall flat for me, but the flavors in this are amazing. The mix of tart rosehips and fresh peppermint is a really nice compliment to the chamomille.

Teavana's Thousand Mountain Jasmine: My Christmas present from my boyfriend (it's a long story), I underestimated how good it would be. With just a little agave, it quickly becomes a sweet treat, otherwise it's a solid black tea.

Hario's 15-oz. teapot, perfect for brewing loose tea for two or one. I love it's design and the glass makes judging strength so much easier. This is on the wishlist.

Breville's Variable-Temperature Kettle: While it's still a little bulky for my taste, I love that it has temperature settings for different varieties of tea. I have loved electric kettles since I used to spend weeks at a time with my cousins in Denmark. Europeans know how to do it with tea, always present and always quickly brewed in an electric kettle. It makes so much sense and it's so quick. While this one is the Rolls-Royce, any electric kettle makes me happy.

And to enjoy, two options for the home:


Crate and Barrel's Latte Mug makes for the most perfect "big cup." I had been on the hunt for the best big white mug for some time, and again, the best, most hip friends in NY opened my eyes to the bargain that was right in front of my eyes.

And for the more urbane, Bodum's tumbler. It looks so amazing when it's filled, and the technology lives up to it's reputation, you really can't feel the heat.

And for on the go:

From Summit Tea Company, a glass and stainless steel tumbler that lets you brew loose tea while not being limited to the pot. Ah, the convenience.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Growing up in a house where my mother left tea cups lying around like she was the little girl from Signs has left me with an appreciation for the beverage. For further exploration of your new vice check todd-holland.com

s. said...

And don't forget to investigate Kusmi teas.