Sunday, November 9, 2008

Future Business Leader of America

For some reason, Target is my happy place. Good things come from Target. And even better, if it was a good thing at Pottery Barn or Williams-Sonoma, it will eventually be at Target in a more moderately priced form.

Also, it tends to be a gathering place for the women in my family. I don't know how we do it, but it's as if we have a sixth-sense for each others impending trips and end up converging spontaneously to troll the aisles together. Here we swap minor details of each others lives while pressuring one another into $30 dollar tree skirts, for no other reason than "non-tacky ones are hard to find."

One of the minor details that we swapped today was that my 7-year old nephew starts Chinese next week.

What makes this particularly awesome is that when I asked her why he wants to learn Chinese, my sister looks at me with a completely straight face, barely taking her attention from a discounted plate set, and says, "Because he wants an elevator in his house."

There you have it. My wise guy nephew wants to be rich and at the early age of 7 has figured out that in order to have cool shit when you grow up, you have to know Chinese.

What I love even more is that my sister and her husband didn't try to persuade him. I think it's because, when you get down to it, we are all kicking ourselves for not having the foresight to drop out of French and Spanish and go after the elevator.

1 comment:

Brian said...

This only proves to me that your nephew at age 7 is smarter than I was at age 13 when I had to choose between Japanese and French. Logically I knew that Japanese would serve me better and open more opportunities in the future. Unfortunately at age 13 my focus what on how I could get a girl to pay attention to me.

The smartest thing your nephew could do is make this decision before those hormones kick in. Take it from me, 13 year old girls don't care if can say j'adore mon petite chou. I should have taken Japanese and worked harder on growing a mustache...