Saturday, March 28, 2009

That's a tree. In his house.


You're eyes aren't playing tricks.

Some cool photos of a house in the Hollywood Hills made interesting by the fact that they chose to add a second bedroom around an existing tree. I think it's noble that they recognized that the tree was there first and even though it substantially added to their renovation costs, it's what ended up making the house remarkable. There are some other photos here, as well as the full story.

I also love that the author of the article managed to work in the angle of "after his wife left him..." into a style feature. Brutal.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Honestly I say: very cool.

Crassly I say: congrats that these designers are being applauded for aping a design choice applied by Frank Lloyd Wright (and countless others) since 1935 without any nod. Note, this could be mentioned in the "full" article but the NYT is stingy with giving comp passwords to their online articles so I'll have to live with the opinion I've already formed.

Comically I say: when my mother visited Fallingwater, the FLR house to which I was alluding, back in the 70's she famously, at least in our family, fell into the stream that runs through the house. As my father tells it, he had to "fish your mother out of the water before she was swept over the falls."