Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hot Plates*

I got to thinking this week about some of the best china patterns. I have no idea why, except that I have a few friends who are getting married and I like to play registry consultant, and also, china is something that really defines your tastes, I think because you make a committment to to your china pattern -- you have it your whole life, sometimes longer than the marriage!

One of my favorites that is just so beyond, it's a total pipedream. It will be one of the patterns that I spend my life collecting, hopefully finding them at a good price, piece by piece. It's Hermes' Balcons Du Guadalquivir. It's truly amazing. I love the way it looks on it's own, I love that each plate is different and I love the way it mixes and pops on the table. Swoon.

A more mainstream (and less budget busting) choice is by good ol' Vera Wang. I like two of her patterns, Imperial Scroll and Trellis. Personally, if I had to choose one it would be Imperial Scroll, just because I like the simplicity of it and it's not a pattern that I would see at a girlfriend's house. I like Trellis for the same reason, it's graphic but not in your face. One of the biggest mistakes people make is picking a china that is so trendy you're just asking to hate it in 10 years. I can't imagine hating either of these.

Imperial Scroll
Align LeftTrellis

The last china that I love is one that is close to my heart. It's not mine yet, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't called dibs on it or have the heart for a battle royale with my sisters when the time comes for it to leave my mom's possession. I'm going to get in trouble for saying that. It's Flow Blue by Johnson Brothers of England and was produced in the 1880's. It's so pretty in person with amazing scalloped edges and crazing.

I keep coming across good patterns all the time, but these are a few of my all-time favorites. You can't go wrong with them.

*"Hot plate" is a little bit of a joke to myself because Mexican restaurants always say "hot plate, hot plate" when your food is delivered. It always makes me laugh, and I always watch to see if if makes anyone else giggle... alas, it's usually just me.

No comments: