Thursday, October 22, 2009

Time for Tea

It really feels like fall in Seattle and to me that means a few things: boots, cashmere and warm drinks. I'm a big tea drinker. I usually have black or green tea in the morning instead of coffee and with all the recent news about the health benefits of tea (specifically green) it's a good move, even if you have to have a cup of coffee to start your morning before switching over.

Sadly, my favorite warm drink has no health benefits, but fall warrants Russian Tea, aka, the most white trash and delicious version of tea that you can mix up. I love that it tastes so good it constitutes as dessert on many nights during the winter and that once it's made up, you can store it for use all season. It's a drink from my childhood and the first cup of the year is always momentous.

So really, don't be afraid to get in touch with something that doesn't do your body good. It's the best.

2 cups Tang (yes, Tang. I wasn't kidding about the WT factor...)
1/2 cup instant tea
5 ounces instant lemonade
1/2 sugar (can be reduced to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves

Mix and store in a mason jar. To serve, mix 2-3 teaspoons with hot water.

To be clear, I have no idea why it's called "Russian Tea." Based on the ingredients, maybe it has something to do with food lines, communism and poverty... your guess is as good as mine.

No comments: