Monday, August 10, 2009

The Best (As I Know Them)

Since I haven't been buying many things lately, I've really started to appreciate the good purchases that I made back when I was rolling in dough and was not a student, living on leftovers and "borrowed" shelter magazines.

So here is the beginning of some of the best things I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

The Longchamp "Le Pliage Large" tote bag. I lived out of it for three months day in and day out and I'm still not sick of it. There's a reason that it's on the arm of every chic Parisian! It is a timeless bag. I've used it as a purse and and as an overnight bag and the quality can't be beat. I'm also waiting for the opportunity when folding it up and snapping it in a cute little bundle comes in handy, but mysteriously, it always seems to be full...

The Clarisonic. Looks like a vibrator, but cleans like a champ. I had wanted this little buddy for a good six months before I got it and it's lived up to the reputation. Clean face and according to my friend's mom, less wrinkles. It's like using a sonicare on your face and it feels FANTASTIC.

LuluLemon "Run: Tempo Crop" pants. With no picture available online, it's hard to convey just how amazing these are. I've never (I mean NEVER) felt comfortable wearing tight, clingy pants to the gym, but what I will say about these is that they actually suck you in. The tag boasts that the fabric is made to support muscles and joints while running, but what it actually does is lift the ass and hold all the squishy bits in. They're amazing. Seriously. I wouldn't go out in public if they weren't.

After I received the worst haircut known to man in April, the godsend who fixed it sprayed only this one product on my hair and it was amazing. All of a sudden, my hair stays straight if I flat iron it, doesn't frizz up if I air dry and it smells awesome. It might only be available locally, but it's from Seven, a salon in Seattle that I'm sure ships.

The hardest working little ballet flat. I took a similar pair to Europe and walked for days straight in Paris in them. The black is on my sale list at J.Crew, because I never pay full price there -- everything goes on sale eventually. Another reason I look like a walking catalog.

My Timbuk2 messenger bag. It's been with me for years of college, years of work, and now grad school and it's still going strong. Holds a laptop and my odds and ends and goes with anything, as long as you don't mind looking a little "dot com." Sure you wouldn't catch a Hepburn with it, but if they needed to carry a laptop, a lunch, school books and a change of clothes, they might consider it.

Bulgari 8008B's. The most glamorous pair of sunglasses - large and in charge with Swarovski crystals on the sides. Needless to say, I don't wear them boating, but I love them year after year.

I could have DIED when Nordstrom's put a similar Michael Kors watch on the Anniversary Sale (jerks), but I'll just take pleasure in knowing that my big gold watch elicited size envy from my old male co-workers in meetings and that it feels powerful on my girly wrist. I love the juxtaposition of a big gold watch with a feminine top. And if, occasionally, I am asked if I'm about to retire to Barbados, so be it.

And lastly, the Cole Haan "Fiona" boot. I ended up with two pairs last fall. It started with finally finding "The Boot." You know, the boot that we spend multiple falls looking for, one that fits our calves, zips (rather than uses that cheap stretch that never stays up), doesn't give us blisters, and makes us feel just the right amount of tall? Well, behold. It was just the black at first, until I met this little number. Brown/bronze snakeskin. They are a sight to see and kick so much ass. Wearing them to work over jeans made my cashmere sweaters feel more Angelina Jolie, less Ina Garten and with skirts and tights, come on.

So there might not be rain drops on roses and dresses made from curtains, but these are just a few of my favorite things, and if you have the means, I highly recommend them. They are so choice.

No comments: